Dr. Saskin’s CV
I hold a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the Derner Institute at Adelphi University and I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing twenty years as a school and clinical psychologist working with children, adolescents and parents in schools, and adults, adolescents and couples in my private practice.
In addition, I’ve been a Clinical Assistant Professor of Applied Psychology supervising doctoral level interns in school and clinical psychology and I mentor and train psychologists-in-training thru the New York City Dept of Education.
- Ph.D, in Clinical Psychology – Derner Institute at Adelphi University – Jun. 1995.
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology – Derner Institute at Adelphi University – Jun. 1991.
- Master of Arts, Psychology – City University of New York at Queens College – Jan. 1989.
- Bachelor of Arts – City University of New York at Queens College – Jan. 1979.
- Dissertation, Feb. 1995 – The Relationship Between Fathers’ Affective Expressiveness and Attunement, Parenting Style, and Achievement Conflicts in Sons
- Associate Editor for the A.P.A. publication “Clinician’s Research Digest”.
Experience, Private Practice:
- Psychotherapy with adults, children, and adolescents in individual, group and family therapy. Psychological assessments of both adults and children. Specializing in Mindfulness based psychotherapy and consultation. Certified in Advanced Eriksonian Hypnotherapy (Jan. 1997 – Present)
Metropolitan Center for Mental Health
- Therapist – Performed individual therapy with adults, adolescents, and children. (Apr. 1994 – Dec.1996)
North Shore University Hospital
- A.P.A. Approved Internship – Responsibilities included individual, family and group therapy for psychiatric inpatient unit, psychiatric day treatment center, and psychiatric outpatient clinic. Performed psychological evaluations and intake interviews, prepared written and verbal reports on patients, wrote and updated treatment plans. (Jul. 1992 – Jun. 1993)
Experience, School Psychology:
New York City Department of Education
Psychologist – Title I Program Bureau of Non-Public Schools (Sep. 2002 – Present)
- Work in various Kindergarten through Eighth Grade Parochial schools in Manhattan. For Title I eligible students, responsible for counseling (individual, group and family), psycho-educational workshops for teachers and parents, outreach, creating and monitoring behavior intervention plans, and consultations with teachers and Principal regarding students’ behavioral issues and learning difficulties. Make referrals to outside agencies and the Committee on Special Education. Represent student and school at CSE meetings. Administer psycho-educational evaluations and explain results and recommendations to parents and school.
SBST School Psychologist -District 4 (Sep. 1997 to Jun. 2002)
- Responsibilities included counseling of elementary and middle-school aged children; psychological and educational assessments of children and recommendations for appropriate educational services and class placement; psycho-educational consultations with teachers, parents and school administration. Supervised and mentored Psychologists-in–Training regarding behavioral assessment techniques and clinical issues, and conducted workshops for Psychologists-in-Training citywide program in behavioral assessment and projective techniques. PS 171 (Sep.1997 to June1999); J13 (Sep.1999 to June 2002)
Psychologist on Committee on Special Education Review Team- District 4 (Nov. 1993 to Jun. 1997)
- As review team member reviewed psychological reports and made recommendations for educational disability and appropriate placement. Collaborated with other members of the review team and parents to come up with the most appropriate recommendations to serve the needs of the child; Performed psychological evaluations and prepared reports for children who were referred for a CSE evaluation.
- Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Applied Psychology – Supervised Doctoral-Level School and Clinical Psychology Interns. (Sep. 1995- June 2008)
New York University
- Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Applied Psychology – Supervised Doctoral-Level School and Clinical Psychology Interns. (Sep. 98 –Jun. 2002)
- New York State – Psychologist
- New York State – School Psychologist
- NYC Board of Education – School Psychologist
- American Psychological Association
- New York State Psychological Association
- Mindfulness and Education Working Group at Teachers College, Columbia University
- The Association for Transpersonal Psychology
- Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity